VEGAN ALOO TIKI RECIPE
- 4 medium-sized potatoes boiled and mashed
- 1/2 cup of green peas boiled and mashed
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped onions
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- 2 tbsp of chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp of ginger paste
- 1 tsp of cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp of coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp of red chili powder optional
- Salt to taste
- Oil for shallow frying
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, mashed green peas, bread crumbs, chopped onions, green chilies, cilantro leaves, ginger paste, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder (if using), and salt. Mix well to combine all the ingredients.
- Divide the mixture into small portions and shape each portion into a round or oval-shaped patty.
- Heat oil in a skillet or frying pan over medium heat.
- Place the Aloo Tikki patties in the hot oil and shallow fry them until golden brown on both sides. This should take about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Use a spatula to flip the patties carefully to avoid breaking them.
- Once cooked and golden brown, remove the Aloo Tikki from the pan and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
- Serve the vegan Aloo Tikki hot with chutney or sauce of your choice.
For your kitchen tools, check Sur La Table.
If you enjoyed this recipe or have suggestions on how we can improve it, please leave us a comment below. Also, make sure to check out other dishes I’ve created or stories I’ve written about food culture – here.