Vegan Iron-rich Chili
- 1 pound of peeled tomatoes
- 1 pound of tinned cooked red beans
- 1 ½ cups of button mushrooms
- 2 handfuls of textured soy protein
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ tsp of cumin powder
- ½ tsp of oregano powder
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper
- Peel and mince the onion and garlic. Drain the red beans.
- Clean and slice the button mushrooms into strips.
- Chop your vegetables, and then carve an onion
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a casserole dish. Sauté the onion and the garlic until they become translucent. Add drained kidney beans and textured soy protein and cook for 5 minutes, mixing well.
- Add the peeled tomatoes, the mushrooms then the cumin, and the oregano. Add salt and pepper. Simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes, stirring regularly. Add water if needed.
- Serve hot with white rice.
If you enjoyed this recipe or have suggestions on how we can improve it, please leave us a comment below. Also, make sure to check out other dishes I’ve created or stories I’ve written about food culture – here.