- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 green apples, peeled, cored, shredded or diced
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 2/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup pickling spice, wrapped and tied up tightly in cheesecloth (you’ve now made a ‘spice bag’)
- 5 cups water
- 3 Tbsp dry red wine
- 2 Tbsp red currant jelly (you can also use black)
- parsley (optional)
- Set heat to medium. In a soup pot, heat oil and add apples and onions and saute about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, toss cabbage with red wine vinegar, sugar and salt. Add to the pot with bay leaf, spice bag and water.
- Bring to boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1-2 hours until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove bay leaf and spice bag, and add wine and jelly.
- Put parsley on top. Mix well and serve hot.
Inspired by Vegetarianized