(Cooking Time: 60 minutes Preparation Time: 10 minutes Servings: 2)
Did you know that lentils can reduce ‘bad cholesterol’ and therefore the risk of cardiovascular disease? Iron in lentils and source of B vitamins also provide lots of benefits. I love lentils all the time because they’re cheap, easy to cook and easily match with other foods. This recipe is a great combination of lentils, onions, and carrots which can be served hot or at room temperature, as a main dish or a side.
- Amount per Serving
- Calories 198g
- Fats: 3g
- Cholesterol 10mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32 g
- Protein 12g
- ½ pound of green lentils (or 1 large tin canned plain lentils)
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 carrots
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 can of tomato (1 pound)
- 3 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups of Smoked tofu (optional)
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper
- Peel and mince the garlic and onion
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the cumin and turmeric, stir. Add the onion, garlic and carrots cut into rings.
- Then add the green lentils, tomato pulp and pepper; then, little by little, add the broth and simmer over low heat until the lentils cook and all the broth is absorbed (about 1 hour).
- You can use a large can of 2 pounds of canned lentils but in this case you add it only at the end of cooking
- You can add diced smoked tofu for a tastier preparation and an extra portion of protein.
- Serve and enjoy your dish!
If you enjoyed this recipe or have suggestions on how we can improve it, please leave us a comment below. Also, make sure to check out other dishes I’ve created or stories I’ve written about food culture – here.
Hello .. . .
Just wanted to thank you for the recipes including lentils as I’ve not been sure about lentils. So now I have directions & am trying to lose some pounds & be healthy as well ! !
Love your blog & keep up the good work. 🤩