- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp of cumin turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, curry
- 1 tbsp of shaved mustard seeds
- ½ pound of green lentils
- 1 pound of baby spinach
- 1 lime
- 2 cups of coconut cream
- 1 tbsp of fresh coriander
- 1 pinch of salt
- Peel the onion, slice it thinly and brown it over high heat in an oiled skillet with the peeled and grated ginger, the peeled and crushed garlic cloves, the spices and the mustard seeds.
- Mix and sauté for a few minutes; then add the green lentils, and moisten with the water.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add water as the lentils absorb it.
- Wash the spinach, squeeze them dry and add them to the skillet. Incorporate them into the lentils then season with salt.
- After 10 minutes, squeeze the lemon and add all or part of its juice to the dish. Mix, pour half of the coconut cream and mix together very well.
- Serve and enjoy your dhal with a dollop of coconut cream and basmati rice!
If you enjoyed this recipe or have suggestions on how we can improve it, please leave us a comment below. Also, make sure to check out other dishes I’ve created or stories I’ve written about food culture – here.