- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 2 shallots (finely diced)
- 1 tsp ginger (grated)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup tomato puree
- ½ to 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp curry powder (taste and add more if you wish)
- Pinch of salt to taste
- 2 tbsp cilantro (optional, for garnish)
- Place cubed potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once water is boiling, cook until potatoes are just tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the skillet. Add mustard seeds and shallots and toast for a 2-3 minutes until slightly soft. Add ginger and turmeric. Saute for 30 seconds, then add the potatoes.
- Add a pinch of salt, mix and cover the skillet with a tight lid. Keep the heat to the lower side.
- Add the tomato puree to the skillet along with the cayenne and curry powder and mix well. Continue cooking on medium low heat for another 10 minutes and place the lid back on the skillet, making sure to stir a few times during cooking. The potatoes at the bottom of the pan should crust a bit but they shouldn’t burn.
- Once the potatoes are fully cooked, take the lid off and continue stir-frying, keep it at low heat. Add a pinch of salt to taste.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with cilantro (but optional). Serve warm.
Inspired by HolycowVegan