(Cooking Time: 75 minutes \ Preparation Time: 10 minutes\ Servings: 4-5)
Brown Rice refers to rice that is unpolished which means only the hull is removed which means protective bran and fibre is retained in brown rice. Red Rice contains a variety of anthocyanins (anti-oxidant) that gives certain red-purple fruit and vegetables.
This brown rice stew is a full pack of healthy plant-based ingredients which gives you a ton of nutrients.
- Amount per Serving
- Calories 100.5g
- Fats: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 15.2g
- Protein: 2.9g
- 1 glass full of lentils (here small and blond)
- 1 glass full of brown rice
- ½ pound of broccoli
- 5 carrots
- 1 leek
- 1 small onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound of cherry tomato
- 1 or 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon of spices of your choice (here tandoori)
- 2 sheets of dried kombu (flat seaweed)
- The night before, soak the brown rice in water after rinsing it. This operation is not obligatory but it makes it possible to reduce the cooking time of brown rice.
- Peel and cut the carrots into small pieces.
- Chop a small onion and 4 cloves of garlic and sauté them in the olive oil for one minute.
- Add the broccoli washed and cut into half small florets with the tail peeled and cut into small cubes and mix.
- Add the washed and sliced leek as well as the carrot pieces and mix well.
- Add the brown rice, drained and rinsed one last time. Rinse the lentils under running water in a fine strainer to remove all traces of dust.
- Pour 4 cups of water into the pot. Everything must be submerged. During cooking, you can add liquid if necessary.
- Cut the kombu leaves with a pair of scissors and put them in the pot. Cover and simmer gently for about 45 minutes. This seaweed has the property of accelerating the cooking of brown rice and lentils.
- Add the tomato puree to the pot. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and mix (according to your taste, a tablespoon or two)
- Then season with the spices. I chose tandoori because it is a spice that is both fragrant and spicy, but you can also choose curry spices for couscous). Cook covered for another 30 minutes and serve hot.
- Enjoy your dish!