Vegetarian Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 medium shallot
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons pitted and sliced Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Combine 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and salt in a small bowl. Using a silicone brush, coat mushrooms all over with the oil mixture. Place on a large rimmed baking sheet and bake until the mushrooms are mostly soft, about 8-10 minutes.
- Finely chop 1 medium shallot. Remove the stems from 4 large portobello mushrooms and discard. Use a spoon to gently scrape out and discard the gills to make room for the filling.
- Combine spinach, tomatoes, feta, olives, oregano and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl.
- Once the mushrooms have softened, remove from the oven and fill with the spinach mixture.
- Bake until the tomatoes have wilted, about 10 minutes.
If you enjoyed this recipe or have suggestions on how we can improve it, please leave us a comment below. Also, make sure to check out other dishes I’ve created or stories I’ve written about food culture – here.