Inspired by The Spruce Eats
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tbspn vegan margarine
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 large bunches green onions (chopped)
- 1/4 cup oil (more or less as needed for frying)
- Mix the flour and water until a dough is formed. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for a few minutes. Place in a bowl, cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to a 1/8 inch thickness. Brush a thin layer of vegan margarine on the top, sprinkle with salt, and then press a layer of green onions into the dough.
- Now here’s the secret to making scallion pancakes: Once you have a flat layer of dough with the green onions on top, roll it all up into a cigar-like shape. Then, roll out the dough again onto a floured surface to about 1/8 inch thickness, pushing any green onions that escape back into the dough. This is the critical step that is going to give the pancakes their perfect texture and flakiness.
- Fry your scallion pancake in 1/4 inch of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Cook each scallion pancake for approximately 3 minutes on one side then flip and cook for another 3 more minutes before getting the pancakes.
- Salt to taste and cut pancakes into triangles and serve with dipping sauce.