Are you a donuts lover and looking for a healthy way of eating them? This is for you! This donuts recipe is pleasantly sweet and fabulous plus adds healthy benefits by using pumpkin and spinach. They are fluffy, airy, and melt-in-your-mouth soft.
(Cooking Time: 10 minutes \ Preparation Time: 10 minutes \ Servings: 2-3)
NUTRITIONAL FACTS: Calories 166.3g / Fats: 8g / Cholesterol: 0.0mg / Total Carbohydrate: 9.9g / Protein: 3g
- Large bowl
- Absorbent paper
- Wire whisk
Ingredients for the dough:
- 2 cups of chickpea flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli puree more or less to taste
- ½ tsp powdered ginger
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 2 cups of raw pumpkin
- 1 cup of minced spinach
- 1 handful of chopped fresh cilantro
For the sauce
- 2 cups of Greek yogurt or vegan yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pinch of black pear compote
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 crashed garlic clove
- ½ tsp chilli puree more or less to taste
- Preparation of donuts: Start by preparing the donut dough: in a large bowl, mix the flour, salt and spices. Add the lemon juice, then the water little by little, while mixing. You should get a fairly thick paste.
- Add the chopped vegetables to the batter and mix well.
- For the sauce; mix all the ingredients and keep cool.
- For cooking: Pour about 1 inch of oil into your wok. Heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- When it is hot, put about 1 small tbsp of mixture in the oil, turn the donut when it is golden. It takes about 30 seconds on each side. Make sure the donuts don’t touch each other too much while baking, or they might stick together.
- Once cooked, put it on absorbent paper. Serve quickly with the yogurt sauce; you can accompany them with traditional or other condiments: mango chutney, garlic powder, chilli puree, etc.
- Enjoy your squash fritters!
If you enjoyed this recipe or have suggestions on how we can improve it, please leave us a comment below. Also, make sure to check out other dishes I’ve created or stories I’ve written about food culture – here.