Inspired by: Eat Yourself Green
- 1 ½ kg of Pinto (Carioca) beans
- 4 medium carrots
- 5 large mushroom cups
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 onion (brown or Spanish)
- 4 large cloves of garlic
- Small bunch of spring onions
- 4 bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¾ teaspoons rosemary
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Chilli powder to taste
- 3 tablespoons of rice bran oil
- Farofa to serve
- Wash the beans and soak in cold water overnight.
- When the beans are ready to cook, add them to the pressure cooker and follow the instructions for water limits on the pan. If cooking in a pot, add the beans and cover with water (about 5 fingers above the beans).
- Add the bay leaves and salt and cook over medium heat until the bean are cooked (slightly soft).
- In the meantime, prepare the seasoning. In a pan, add the oil and the chopped onion and garlic. Cook until soft, then add the spring onions and the remaining seasonings.
- After 30 minutes, check the beans (if cooking in a pressure cooker, to open the pan, remove from heat, put pan under running tap water and let lever release all pressure before opening lid.
- If beans are half way cooked, add the vegetables and let cook a little longer. After 10 more minutes (on pressure cooker, it should be ready, repeat process to open pan) add the seasoning and taste for salt. If need more cooking, leave pan open and cook until ready.
- Serve with farofa and enjoy.