Hello everyone! Chef Jade is here with another basic kitchen lesson.
Taking proper care of our cooking tools is as important as cooking well… for today’s lesson, I will teach you how to season a brand new cast-iron skillet. Seasoning your cast-iron skillet helps to achieve better results in your preparations and it also helps conserve it longer.
After following these steps, you can make perfect sauteed vegetables or caramelized onions with your brand new seasoned iron skillet. Please, let me see these beauties! Post on social media with the Hashtag, #Jadescookingtips.
Let’s move on to my step-by-step.
1. For today’s tutorial, we will need a cast-iron skillet…obviously.
2. Wash and dry the cast-iron skillet (Try not to use a harsh cleaner)
3. Preheat your oven to 450°F.
4. Using a paper towel, drop some generous amount of oil and rub it all over, inside and outside, including the handle of your pan.
5. Set your pan inside the oven for at least 30 minutes.
6. Repeat step 3, at least three more times.
Important: be careful once taking your pan out of the oven: it will be very hot!
After finishing this process, your daily cooking will also help to season your pan, especially if some oil and fat are involved. So don’t worry about a next-season process for at least a few years. If you’re more of a visual learner, then make sure to check out my video, ‘How to season a cast iron skillet’ below.
If you enjoyed this article or have suggestions on how we can improve it, please leave us a comment below. Also, make sure to check out the recipes I’ve created or stories I’ve written about food culture – here.