VEGAN COBB SALAD AND RANCH
You shouldn’t have to miss out on one of the country’s classic salads just because you’re vegan. After all, salads are our bread and (vegan) butter! And while a traditional Cobb Salad with chicken, eggs, and bacon is obviously off-limits, this recipe captures the vibrant flavors that make the original so beloved. Avocados pull a lot of weight here, along with chickpeas and vegan bacon. And don’t forget to chop the vegetables for that classic Cobb Salad texture. And since every great salad needs a great dressing, we’ll be making our own vegan ranch to go on top of this one. As any card-carrying Midwesterner will tell you, ranch is the queen of all dressings. I think we’ve all got that friend who puts ranch on seemingly everything from French fries to pizza. And just so we’re clear: I’m not that friend, but I can understand where they’re coming from.
- Large salad bowl
- Cutting board and knife for chopping vegetables
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Whisk or blender for making the dressing
- Small bowl for mixing the dressing
- Serving utensils
For the salad:
- 4 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup corn kernels you can use fresh, frozen, or canned
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas or tofu cubes as a protein source
- 1 cup sliced avocado
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped vegan bacon you can use tempeh bacon or coconut bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives or green onions
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plant-based milk such as almond or soy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large serving bowl, arrange the chopped Romaine lettuce as the base of your salad.
- Arrange the cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red bell pepper, corn, chickpeas or tofu, avocado, black olives, red onion, and vegan bacon on top of the lettuce. You can arrange them in rows or any pattern you prefer.
- Sprinkle the chopped chives or green onions over the top for added flavor and color.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the vegan ranch dressing until smooth and creamy. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the vegan Cobb salad with the vegan ranch dressing on the side, allowing each person to drizzle it over their salad to taste.
- Toss the salad just before serving to distribute the dressing evenly, or serve the dressing on the side for individuals to use as desired.
NUTRITIONAL FACTS Calories: 300 | Total Fat: 14g | Total Carbohydrates: 25g | Dietary Fiber: 7g | Protein: 10g