- 1 medium red or white onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil
- Espelette pepper (medium hot chilli pepper)
- 1 Egg
- Prepare the ingredients. Peel and quarter the onion. Chop crosswise into thin slices. Peel the garlic and minced finely.|
- Rinse the pepper, remove the seeds and cut into ½ inch (1 cm) strips.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil to sizzling. Add the onion slices, reduce the heat to medium-high and sauté, stirring regularly, until the onions are wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic, stir briefly, then add the pepper slices. Sauté until the pepper is tender, about 10 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- While the pepper is cooking, rinse the tomatoes and chop them into small cubes.
- When the pepper is tender, add the tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue cooking for another 15-20 minutes, until the tomatoes have totally dissolved to make a sauce. Add the chopped basil and a pinch of Espelette pepper. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add a fried egg to garnish (optional). Serve warm or hot. You can also use it as a side dish to meat or fish, in an omelet, or as a topping for pasta.
Inspired by Everydayfrenchchef