Hello everyone, Chef Jade is here to teach you another easy cooking skill that goes with bread, quiches, and even salad…Caramelized Onions. As we all know caramelization is the slow cooking process of the sugar that changes its flavor and color. Onions aren’t sweet but they can be! Check out our step by step for caramelizing onions: (NOTE: If you’re more of a visual learner, see below for our walkthrough video.)
Let’s set aside the following items:
- 3 onions (Chopped evenly)
- 2 tablespoons of butter (Vegan Butter optional)
- 1-2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- For today’s recipe, we need a cooking spoon, a Knife, a Cutting Board, and a large Skillet . If you don’t have one already, you might need a cast-iron skillet for this. I do have a separate tutorial on ‘How to season a cast-iron skillet. So make sure to check it out.
- Choose three fresh onions: shining, dry, and firm to the touch. And cut them into juliennes. Note: Similar size cuts are essential for even cooking and to avoid some onions burning instead of caramelizing. Read or Watch our first Tutorial – How to cut an onion and follow our tips for perfect juliennes.
- Heat your pan, and once it’s warm add 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Once the butter is melted we can add the onions with a pinch of salt and stir it up. Make sure the onions are spread evenly inside the pan.
- We must be patient at this point. Leave the onions slowly cooking in medium to low heat for 8 – 10 minutes. And stir it up once in a while.
- After 10 minutes, we can add some brown sugar to make this process faster. But it isn’t a mandatory step.
- Once the onions start to change color, we should lower the heat a little more and stir it up more often to avoid some onions burning. Important: at this point, even cut juliennes are essential, if there are different sizes of onions, the thin ones could finish the caramelizing process before and probably get burned at the end of the whole set of onions. And we don’t want that!
- After another 10 minutes, our onions will be ready and sweet!
Now tell me, what kind of snacks do you enjoy with some caramelized onions? My favorite is a nice piece of bread toasted with some hummus and caramelized onion! Let me know on social media with the Hashtag, #Jadescookingtips .