VEGAN EGYPTIAN HALAWA
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup tahini sesame paste
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- In a dry skillet, toast the sesame seeds over medium heat until they are golden brown and fragrant. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Remove from heat and let them cool.
- In a food processor or blender, blend the toasted sesame seeds until they turn into a fine powder. This step is optional if you prefer a smoother texture. Transfer the sesame powder to a mixing bowl.
- Add the tahini, maple syrup or agave syrup, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, and salt to the bowl with the sesame powder. Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined and the mixture has a smooth consistency.
- Line a square baking dish or loaf pan with parchment paper. Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and spread it evenly using a spatula.
- Refrigerate the mixture for at least 2 hours, or until it is firm and set.
- Once firm, remove the halawa from the dish and cut it into small square or diamond-shaped pieces.
- Serve the vegan Egyptian Halawa as a sweet treat. It can be enjoyed on its own or paired with tea or coffee.
NUTRITIONAL FACTS: Calories: 150 | Total Fat: 12g | Total Carbohydrates: 9g | Dietary Fiber: 2g | Protein: 4g