Inspired by TheWoksOfLife
- 2 persian cucumbers (or kirby, or English cucumber)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (divided)
- ½ teaspoons maple syrup
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt (divided)
- 1 tablespoon Chinese black vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- 2 dried chilis
- Sea weed
- Trim cucumber off both ends, and cut each cucumber into 4 equal sections. Cut each section into 6 equal-sized strips. Transfer to a bowl and add ½ teaspoon sugar and salt. Toss, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by combining sugar, maple syrup, salt, black vinegar, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, bay leaves, garlic, and the chili peppers. Stir and make sure the sugar and salt are completely dissolved.
- After cucumber was marinated for 1 hour in the fridge, dump out the liquid from the bowl they were sitting in. You should be able to get rid of at least ¼ cup of liquid. Now add the prepared sauce, and mix everything well.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight. The cucumbers should be ready to serve the next morning and enjoy!