Inspired by: veganboard
- 1.5 celeriac
- 6 cups (1440 ml) sunflower oil
Breading for about 4 schnitzel:
- 6 tbsp plain flour
- 0.75 cup (90 g) gram flour
- 0.75 cup (180 ml) water
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 pinch pepper
- 3 cup (300 g) breadcrumbs
- 3 tsp salt
- 6 slices of lemon
- easy potato salad
- green salad
- Peel the celeriac and cut four large slices about 5mm thick.
- Combine the gram flour, water, soy sauce and pepper into a smooth batter.
- On one plate prepare plain flour, on another the breadcrumbs combined with salt.
- Dip a celeriac slice in the flour to finely coat it.
- Next dip the slice in the gram flour mixture. Let the excess batter drip off.
- And finally, coat the slice in the breadcrumbs.
- Set aside ready for frying and repeat until all slices are breaded.
- Heat up a frying pan filled at least 1cm with frying oil. For an evenly browned crust, the schnitzel should be literally swimming in oil, not lie on the bottom of the pan.
- To test if the oil is hot and ready for frying, drop in a few breadcrumbs. If you can immediately see and hear them bubble and sizzle up, it’s ready.
- Carefully place a schnitzel in the hot oil. Fry for 2 minutes on each side, until deep golden brown. Use tongs to turn over the schnitzel to avoid splashes of hot oil.
- Serve with salad and a slice of lemon to drizzle over.