Roasted Onion Flower
- Baking Dish
- 4 medium red onions with root
- 6 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 pinch of salt
- Herbs: a few sprigs of rosemary and thyme
- 1 pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C)
- Make a total of 4 vertical slits in each onion to create 8 wedges still joined at the root.
- Pour a drizzle of olive oil in a baking dish and arrange the onions, root side down
- Spoon the remaining olive oil over the onions and around them. Sprinkle generously with salt, including in the center of the onions. Add the herbs.
- Roast for about 40 minutes.
- Reshape the onions so that the petals are open and sprinkle them with a few spoonfuls of the juice from the caramelized onions in the dish.
- Roast until onions are tender inside and petal tips are crisp, about 20 minutes longer.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot or at room temperature
- Enjoy your dish!
If you enjoyed this recipe or have suggestions on how we can improve it, please leave us a comment below. Also, make sure to check out other dishes I’ve created or stories I’ve written about food culture – here.