VEGAN NIGERIAN OGI
- Medium-sized pot
- Whisk or spoon for stirring
- 1 cup cornmeal yellow or white
- 3 cups water
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar or sweetener of choice adjust to taste
- Pinch of salt optional
- Plant-based milk optional, for serving
- Fresh fruit or nuts optional, for topping
- In a medium-sized pot, combine the cornmeal and water.
Whiskor stir until the cornmeal is fully dissolved and there are no lumps.
- Place the pot on the stove over medium heat and bring the mixture to a gentle boil, stirring continuously.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the mixture simmer for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the sugar or sweetener of choice and a pinch of salt (if using). Adjust the amount of sweetener based on your preference.
- Continue cooking and stirring for another 2-3 minutes until the porridge thickens to your desired consistency. If it becomes too thick, you can add a little more water to thin it out.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let the Ogi cool slightly before serving.
- Serve the Nigerian Ogi warm in
bowls. You can enjoy it plain or serve it with a splash of plant-based milk for added creaminess.
- If desired, top the Ogi with fresh fruit or nuts for extra flavor and texture.
NUTRITIONAL FACTS: Calories: 150 | Total Fat: 2g | Total Carbohydrates: 33g | Dietary Fiber: 3g | Protein: 3g